Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Learning from the Nightclub Disaster in Rhode Island

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  VDG on February 24, 2003 at 13:59:14:

Is there more that architects can do to help prevent another tragedy such as this?
I believe that there is much we can do. The exit signs were invisible
during the panic. I think that the entire door and frame should be illuminated. I've worked on the largest nightclubs in the country. We have designed them to egress over 5,000 persons. The problem is, when we (the architects) leave the site, the club owners don't listen to us and do as they want. They often have conflicting issues with what we are trying to do. They are mostly concerned with security and keeping people in or out as opposed to providing proper egress. Often curtains are used to block the view of doors. These nightclubs make fortunes for the owners. I know that they can provide a safer place or their patrons. Forget about grand fathering sub-conforming spaces. These clubs can afford sprinkler systems. If they can't, then they can move elsewhere. We often put the rights of individuals (owners) over the rights of many (patrons). I've designed and partied in these places and many of them are trouble. Its time to start cracking the whip on these places. Here are some of the more obvious changes to the laws that I've come up with, Please feel free to add or amend my ongoing list.

1. Stricter enforcement of non-combustible materials throughout entire space overseen by Fire departments AND Building Departments
2. Stricter square feet per occupant load calculations.
3. Automatic Sprinkler Protection for all place of occupancy over 50 persons for all Eating and drinking, and Cabaret
4. Provide brighter and more adequate Exit signage, Make it more extremely obvious.
5. Stricter Alcohol Lisesensing laws that work in conjunctioin with all municipal departments including DOB and Fire Dept codes.
6. Wider Egress stairs doors and passageways.
7. Municipalities should step up inspections and make sure that these clubs adhere to the approved public assembly plans.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/25720.html