Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Why the changes in education requirements??

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  jon on February 25, 2003 at 15:03:11:

I was reading the educational requirements for a registered architect on our states website. What I was surprised about was how they have changed. Prior to 1976 you didn’t need any formal education. From 1980-1984 you only needed a 4-year B.S. degree. After 1984 a NAAB degree is required. NAAB only accredits the M.Arch, and B.Arch I want to know is what has changed to change the requirements? I’m sure there are many famous architects that would not meet the educational requirements for registration today. I don’t think even Frank Lloyd Wright was licensed, and couldn’t be by today’s standards. A teacher I had in college said the reason was all “politics”. He said they increase the requirements so you’ll stay in school longer, and thus spend more money on tuition. Looking at the curriculums for the B.S Arch and M. Arch programs. It seem like most of the important classes are in your undergraduate years.
Any thoughts?

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/25741.html