Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Cad Protocols for professionals

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Sunaabh on February 26, 2003 at 21:58:29:

In Reply to:  Re: Cad Protocols for professionals posted by Peter B on February 26, 2003 at 17:04:44:

Hi,

True CAD is passing through infancy… but its on its journey to youth and maturity, its time, its given the lessons so that it performs the desired goals.

It’s a general belief that Human maneuverability in drafting can never be replaced by computer aided designing and drafting. This is largely due to the complicated and unuser-friendly software procedures.

I was wondering if it s time that our CAD software programmers came out with customized tailor made CAD solutions vis a vis the field of application. Perhaps its time we in the profession got together put our heads down and chalk out what we expect from the software and let our programmer friends know what exactly we are looking for.

Layers and other flexible editing properties and tools in AutoCAD are both boon and pain for the draftsmen. Things can go really haywire when you have too many cooks on the job [ a situation sometimes unavoidable due to pressing circumstances and deadlines] and where too may layers have been used as seasoning to suit individual tastes. Worse when short cuts have been resorted to by copy/ cut paste or insert block options. All in all, It’s a nightmare for those who have to develop 3d forms from 2d entities made by organization not accustomed to your way of working. And why should they change their way of working when any one is free to choose and evolve his/ her styles.

I believe AutoCAD by and large is still the most popular CAD software around the Globe… and my observations have been is based on this Software. I’m sure these are some of the problems that many of my colleagues in the profession, the world over have faced from time to time. Can we not start by identifying and understanding what inherent properties we can associate to specific objects, for that matter drawing contents…?

For example we know that a plan must compulsorily contain walls, doors and windows steps [defined as objects] etc, etc, a list that can be drawn up… The very next step would perhaps be to identify for what purpose, the drawing needs to be made [ hence you are now defining parameters for use…i.e. for civil engineering purpose, mechanical engineering purpose, or for what ever purpose it may be… etc etc..]…. If for Architecture purpose, What floor the drawing constitutes etc… then assign these pre defined properties…Right before getting to work, I should be able to choose a drawing setup based on floor plans and other criteria in the following order..

OPEN à SETUP à [ALREADY EXISTING AUTO CAD FEATURES]à FOLLOWED BY CHOOSING ONE OF THESE à ARCHITECTURE à ENGINEERING à ELECTRICAL à MECHANICAL à

Once this is decided then [ Here I’m assuming that Architecture option is selected then..]

PLAN; ELEVATION; SECTION; à

PLAN à GROUND FLOOR; FIRST FLOOR; Nth- FLOOR à

WALL TYPES à
1. FOR EXTERNAL WALLS à
2. FOR INTERNAL WALLS à

THICKNESS à 9”th, MODULAR, 4.5”thick, ETC, ETC

WALL HEIGHT à 10’-0”, 6’-0”, CUSTOM DEFINED

WALL COLOR à FACTORY DEAULTS, CUSTOM DEFINED

MATERIAL à< COULD BE FACTORY DEFINED >à Solid Brick with ½”cem plaster, or stone cladding etc, etc

THE LIST CAN GO ON… and once these have been set… just go ahead and draft your design…

The Layer order and the Color could be an ineditable factory set default color
so could the associated line types be predefined
A predefined, pre color-coded line type could be assigned the various insert able objects that can be inserted into the plan. And the moment these fixtures are inserted into the drawing, they are automatically inserted into a layer, which comes into existence automatically, thus minimizing user interference in these areas.

this way, I believe at least some kind of uniformity in the drafting process can be achieved instead for depending on each others comply the others way of working. I believe some of the features I have mentioned have already been addressed by some of our programming colleagues, but what I am pointing at is, perhaps, at working out International Standards and benchmark for CAD applications.
Friends, I look forward to your suggestions, observations you may also e-mail me at

angelfish@now-india.net.in

Sunaabh

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Please follow up at our  Open 3D Forum

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/25811.html