Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Why the changes in education requirements??

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Michael A. LeBatard, AIA,CSI,NCARB on February 28, 2003 at 10:42:44:

In Reply to:  Why the changes in education requirements?? posted by jon on February 25, 2003 at 15:03:11:

It is simple. There are people out there that are great Architects with degress and without degress. If you ask any of them, they will all tell you a DEGREE does not make anyone an Architect but is a road to the process of becoming an Architect.

These same great Architects will also tell you that the ability to design well, is really something that your are born with. After all we sometime forget that Architecture is ART just in a grand scale. The point I am trying to make with this statement is this. "Is it possible for someone without the ability to draw, to draw or paint a highly detailed portrait equal to one of the masters; most likely not."

We as a people have established benchmarks that define what we think a person must pocess in order to fit the "PICTURE" of his or her profession or place in life.

In other words, "you cannot be a professional with a degree!". this is BUNK. We are more concerned that a person has a degree in something rather than can the person perform the task at hand. We have done this to our selves.

Please do not get me wrong, I think a college education is something that everybody should have the chance to obtain. It brings our interlect to a higher plane and opens doors for cultures to improve the world as a whole.

In general in order for our profession to grow and to be looked upon as a profession that rates the same level of respect as others, we must strive for higher education that is equal to other professions, are we will never be respected for what we do.

And you are right, there would never have been such people as Fran Loyd Wright or E. Fay Jones it this requirement would have been in place as it is today, and we would have truly lost by that and I am sure we will be losing greatness in the future because of this requirement. It is a catch 22.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/25898.html