Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - how do we classify MODERN architecture? when does it start?

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  degoza on March 04, 2003 at 20:44:56:

how do we actually view and categorize modern architecture? in particular, i am doing research on asian architecture. generally, i believe modern architecture in asia was originated from european or brought into asia during the colonization in the late 18th century and early 19th century. let's look at the supreme court in singapore, it manifests perfectly those distinctives european style or should i classified it into neoclassicism?

B. could i argue that it started when a country of departed from its distintives and exotic arhitectural style or embracing and combining culture and style?

C. the last point i would like to make here is very blurred according to my tutor. i also see the achievements and invention in technology, contruction methods and new materials has been contributing to what we now perceived as modern architecture. see how those renaissance and baroque style domes are adopted now in glass framed domes, fabric and tension architecture? and also how frank o'ghery had used titanium in his Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao

could anyone post his or her point of view and thoughts regarding modernism in asia? or perhaps recommend some resources or books?

thanks alot
an archi student in melbourne university

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/25978.html