Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Architect who...? My contractor does it better

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Manuel Oliveros on March 08, 2003 at 15:56:08:

In Reply to:  Architect who...? My contractor does it better posted by Sunaabh on March 07, 2003 at 10:04:21:

Frankly, Sunaaabh, your affirmation doesn't apply in general and for lots of actual facts, and very sustainable reasons. There are cases where avoiding the architect results in cheaper things, but only rarely better. Saying the architect may be substituted by the builder is like to say the arm can substitute the brain.

In my practice, what you say is simply not true. I have seen for example and just passing by driving a contractor putting in place a steel column able to sustain 20 stories to sustain just one. Furthermore, wherever I have had to act professionally, I have found most times deep wells of ignorance about consturctive feasibilities, not to say lots of ideas that may for sure better the thing at hand. This includes builders: even successful ones remain lots of times utterly unaware about what can an cannot be done. This I have seen be the case, and no words are going to convince me this doesn't happen.

Training is just the start. For then the experiences are diverse for contractors and architects, and ones know more things on something, and others on others. (This happens with everyone, by the way, in the realm of own experience).

I want just now to reminder that the specialization of the trades is nothing the architects by themselves produced: it was society who decided to have specialized people dedicated to the many different tasks humans undertake. There were plans more than 5000 years ago in Sumeria (statue of king Gudea), and a lot can be said about the history of the practice of architecture in parallel to that of builders, with the natural temporal, personal, and functional contact between the two activities.

Even these days when dealing with some minor things, the clients amaze themselves on their inability to conceive what can be done and get proper exposition of it. This an able architect can surely do, and it is only natural that they more or less willing come to accept that as doctors know more about medicine, architects do of buildings.

And other thing is one having the right to (within the reasonable limits established by civilized behaviour) decide about his home or his health.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/26047.html