Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Architect who...? My contractor does it better..yeah may be

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Rog the Dodge on March 09, 2003 at 13:42:30:

In Reply to:  Re: Architect who...? My contractor does it better..yeah may be posted by Sunaabh on March 09, 2003 at 10:13:20:

Sunaabh

I was sorry to read of your description of the practise of architecture in your country.

It has long been a general problem in architecture of the maintenance of an appropriate and beneficial balance between the conventions of society, the intentions of the client, the inventions of the architect and the interventions of the contractor. In the ideal world all are presumed of equal value and their operation a virtuous circle. Give undue precedence to any one at the expense of the others or create the circumstances where financial advantage acrues to the more powerful by adjusting that balance and the vicious circle you illustrate is the consequence.

Societal conventions which feed into client intentions are almost impossible a to tackle, certainly as an individual, and only partially as a group. Contractor interventions somewhat easier but only where there is a strong professional lobby and where the loop of financial asdvantage does not circumvent the process by leading directly from client to contractor and, in effect, placing the architect out the loop.

You seem to have the worst of all worlds in the scenario you outline and it is a considerable test of your resolve to remain true to your professional principles. Most of us have faced similar, though perhaps not so excessive, challenges in our careers. It is the great ingenuity of architects that allows them to create their own circumventions and half a chance of returning matters to the ideal order.

You have my sympathy and best wishes in your quest to do so.

Rog

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/26063.html