Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: ArchWeek - Wisconsin Chemistry

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Stephen E. Seitz on March 14, 2003 at 08:14:36:

In Reply to:  Re: ArchWeek - Wisconsin Chemistry posted by KHALID A.MOHAMEDELHASSAN on March 13, 2003 at 13:25:55:

I've just recently visited the Chemistry Building at UW to attend a student seminar given in the lecture(seminar) hall.

Approaching the building on a cold wintery day certainly doesn't reveal the impact shown in the photographs...one would have to stroll the surrounding campus blocks to get those vistas, and, alas, staying warm does take priority.

As to whether or not the uniqueness of the building's users contributed to the design solution, I would say the solution simply represents intelligent design which meets the parameters of the design program.

The new lab facilities certainly are brighter than the typical rabbit warren. Acoustics within the lecture hall are nice...voices are audible with ease. Ah, but as to air handling, at least in the lecture hall, something needs adjusting. Entry to the hall is from the upper tier where, apparently, all the heated air resides, and attendees must wander toward the front/lower seating, shedding layers of clothing as they seek their individual level of acceptable comfort. I can only imagine that the opposite is true during the summer months.

All-in-all, the building does blend old and new with panache. Now do the students and professors recognize this, I'm not so sure. Students are students, afterall, and they, along with their faculty, may be too wrapped-up in what they're doing to outwardly notice.

They just know it's nice.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/26153.html