Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: collapse of bombed buildings

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Kevin Matthews on March 26, 2003 at 07:04:20:

In Reply to:  Re: collapse of bombed buildings posted by Richard Haut on March 26, 2003 at 06:36:28:

Not bothered? I think it is horrific that we have so many comparisions of bombed buildings to consider. That is wretched beyond words to me as a human being and as a design professional. But in the terrbile comparisons, I don't see unexplained structural phenomena. Mid-rise concrete buildings, especially when built with minimalist reinforcing steel as found in many countries without stringent structural codes, will behave very, very differently under attack than streel-framed towers among the world's tallest.

I am also bothered that the WTC towers were allowed to be built with such flimsy fireproofing as they were, and that U.S. codes have still not seriously addressed the real challenges of fire-supression in very tall skyscrapers.

Given what I know with reasonable assurance and can reasonably infer about the various structures and methods of attacks, the structural responses seem all too sadly predictable.

The political and economic structures of violence and criminality behind the varous attacks are harder to clearly discern -- and seem to lie quite far outside the realm of building design.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/26329.html