Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: and about time too

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Manuel Oliveros on April 01, 2003 at 09:10:02:

In Reply to:  and about time too posted by Richard Haut on March 31, 2003 at 14:54:33:

Things may be even weirder than there being some americans involved ...

Respect significant competitions not delivering the best (or preventing the best being selected or made) ... what I have seen and known attest that lots of times the more original proposals are more or less stolen when not summarily dismissed.

By the way, such device is also built-in in the patent's system, in urbanism, and in the market ... the detentors of ideas, soil, creative firms are just pushed out of the market by deep pocketers, when not buried ... sometimes literally (here meaning actually).

The value of ideas is big. It is for that they are stolen ... and repeated to boredom. Brunelleschi knew when denying to discover his way of closing St. Marie in Fiore's main vault. Competitors and commissioners pressed him to discover the way but he resisted artfully to get the commission. Even if following the commissioner's paradigm (in their intent) is a natural condition of the production of architecture, sometimes the emphasis in denying any meaning being conveyed unto what built, or the introduction of alternative intents and meanings to those initially accepted being worth make surely the winning architect wonder if he is doing anything there, in the end. Lots and lots of architects have renounced on such feelings, this including the Utzon's author of the most beautiful building in the world by an inquiry, Sidney's Opera House... (I assume most knowing the icon than the building itself).

So one expects with architectural fright many times not only if something will be built (many times is not, I have seen in a number of significative competitions here held) ... but what will be built.

Of the selection of Libeskind I am happy on he being more artistic than anything ... on the other hand I fear the adversarial stance he has held against construction ... and I have (but only in my mind) to concile my own architectural fears with the understood giant pressure his practice and person is going to support.

But well, this is sport ... let's see what of these real struggleS comes.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/26440.html