Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: ArchWeek - Art Center upon Tyne

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Rog the Dodge on April 02, 2003 at 04:00:24:

In Reply to:  ArchWeek - Art Center upon Tyne posted by Kevin Matthews on April 02, 2003 at 00:11:06:

Your account of the Baltic seems to refer to the original competition proposal where there was a clear and simple parti related to the overall form of the original building of vertical access in the four corners and a through gallery east to west on each floor. In design development the east end has been crudely and solidly closed off by offices and ancillary accommodation not generally open to the public and the galleries have acquired a strange dead-end character.

The building now focuses to the west on the milliennium bridge and other new developments. Access on foot to the Baltic from the Gateshead side is, perversely, poor and insalubrious and involves crossing several main roads. From Newcastle it's all much easier across the fabulous milliennium bridge. Despite my criticisms the Baltic was busy mid-week in November when I visited and the Tyne quays, a place of ill-repute I remember from the 1960s, totally transformed.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/26457.html