Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Has Society In General Become Anti-social?

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  steveA on April 04, 2003 at 10:43:07:

In Reply to:  Re: Has Society In General Become Anti-social? posted by KEN on April 04, 2003 at 09:23:39:

The image that Barry has painted is the one I grew up with as well. So here is a pitch for small town America: I see this image being replayed all the time when I go to some of the small rural communities near where I live (PA and Ohio). I believe this is happening throughout America in the small towns and farming communities. There is another world out there beyond our cities and suburbs!
I also agree with statements above suggesting that there is more social interaction in our cities, and not just New York. It seems that it is at these two extremes, the urban and the rural, where people have to rely on each other and therefor must interract with each other. The problem at hand I feel is pretty much one of the suburbs.
People move to the suburbs for a few reasons: quality schools, more space for families/gardens, and relative safety. Many people who look to the suburbs WANT to be more introverted . I don't think this is different than it was in the 50s/60s except for the fact that parents are much more protective these days given the perception of danger that exists from "child predators" AND the prevalence of introverted electronic games/media, as has been noted.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/26509.html