Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Because they don't want to - er....rrrrrrright

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Rog the Dodge on April 20, 2003 at 13:26:02:

In Reply to:  Because they don't want to - er....rrrrrrright posted by bricklyne on April 17, 2003 at 19:30:17:

To simplify: The reason given by the Blair-Bush Project for invading Iraq changed and changes weekly and as time passes reasons are casually discarded because they were simply expedient. If the only justification for war is that a regime is despicable then the Blair-Bush Project will have its hands full for the next century or more, none of which will be legal in the terms the UN Charter which was put in place to prevent precisely the kind of adventuring we are presently seeing in the Middle East. If you are not prepared to understand the concept of national sovereignty which respects national borders, irrespective of the status or nature of the government of that nation, then the world is the plaything of the only hyper-power there is, the USA, and you might as well abandon any hope now of maintaining your national or regional culture because it will simply be subsumed. I have nor had any truck with Saddam Hussein, his regime or its methods but the very tenuous arguments advanced by the USA and UK for the invasion simply do not stand up in the UN. You may be happy to concede the World to the USA and its puppet, the UK, I am not, for that is how the diversity of world culture and belief is homogenised to the level of a Big Mac.

But I realise ultimately that I waste my time with views like yours for the simple reason that a quick fix is what you want when it has been amply demonstrated throughout history that it is the quick fixes of the past which have created the messes of the Balkans, the Middle East, the Caucasus, Northern Ireland: anywhere where someone casually drew a line on a post-colonial map without reckoning that it cut right through peoples lives and cultures.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/26807.html