Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Future in architecture?

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Awhitacre on June 12, 2003 at 16:07:42:

In Reply to:  Re: Future in architecture? posted by MJE on June 11, 2003 at 20:34:20:

I've been in the business for nearly 30 years, and there are several VERY positive things about architecture:
it never gets boring
you generally work with people who really like what they do -- so they concentrate on the project and not on internal office politics
it can provide you with wide areas to exercise your interests.

It is not as high paying as ... medicine, law or dentistry, but you can earn a decent living at it, and work normal hours if you prioritize those things. there are always architects who do not know how to run a business... and it shows. There are also firms that are very well run, have good reputations and get great projects. There are some terrific clients... and some ghastly ones. You learn to sort those out over time and avoid the ghastly ones.
In the 27 years I've been working, I've seldom been bored, very seldom not wanted to go to work in the morning, and have been continually stimulated in dozens of ways. I've also traveled with a keener eye, met some wonderful people all over the country through my work, and worked on some really inspiring projects that I'm proud to have been a part of. I can't think of anything I would have rather done.... and I'm nearly the only person my age (I'm 50) I know who still loves their job.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/27665.html