Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Does anyone have advice about Grad School Programs ?

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  C. Windsor on June 13, 2003 at 15:34:07:

Hi all,

I was wondering if there are any of you out there in the field of architecture who have any ideas about graduate schools for architecture/design/urban planning. I have read Columbia's program book, as well as Harvard's. And I appreciated what they were about. I was wondering if anyone has the inside scoop though, about these programs or others.

Just to give you a sense of my situation, I am currently - for the short term - in Birmingham (where I'm originally from) and I really don't want to go to any of the in-State schools for grad school due to some of the deeply-ingrained bias issues that still cook on campuses here. It repulses me that people are so deeply prejudiced and I don't think it would be such a good environment to stay in.

I am very interested in Smart Growth, environmental issues, urban design and geography. Does anyone have any idea how these all might come together?? After graduating last year from a New England school, I worked for Nat Geo and I really appreciated the concept of exploration and cultural geography they uphold. I am also a deeply spiritual person. So, does anyone have any ideas about a school(s) or program(s) that might have an interdisciplinary approach to these topics or that might nurture these different dimensions? Everyone in my immediate family deals mainly in policy and health. So they are frustrated because they cannot really provide any advice about the field of architecture.

Any ideas? Or would it be better to say look into fellowship programs? Like try for a Fulbright first before making any decisions. Or perhaps I could do a summer architecture program at one of these schools? Or am I thinking too inside of the box here? I'll be taking another year or so off before making any commitments.

If you made it through this message thus far, I deem the a Saint.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/27675.html