Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Should I choose architecture?

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  em on June 22, 2003 at 16:01:54:

In Reply to:  Should I choose architecture? posted by Edwin Chan on June 22, 2003 at 03:29:23:

hi there,
I'm currenty an arch student in europe. I don't konw how the program is structured in other places, but for us u didn't have to know how to draw n such in beforhand. The requierments we had were creativity and an aptitude spacial relations. The actual drawing we've learnt as part of the program. If you decide to study arch you will find that most people are on very different levels drawingwise the first year, this dose usually even out somewhat with time. as justin sugestes, practice rotating objects in your head and drawing them in different angles or just sketching people, think about how they relate to buildings and places. Honestly though most arch work is done on computers these days and actual hand drawing is unfortunately usually just used as a personal tool.

As for jobs, well ther are never garantees, but if you feel a true passion it will be reflected in your work. for the moment things are generally better than 10 years ago, but arch is unfortunately very tightly linked with the economy.

Personally, studying arch has given me a chance to develope my creativity and a sense of diciplin I never knew I had. I've actually got abstinense for school now over my summer break! Here is a peice of advice one of my teachers gave us on the first day; do not study arch for the money. It is an enormously time consuming job that is often hard to leave at the office. The first years of work will be at an office working on sombody elses projects with very little space for personal creativity, you will hate it. then with a little luck and time you will make a name for yourself and either start your own office or rise in the ranks, and time will go, and you will love it!
best of luck to you! what ever u choose.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/27824.html