Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: What is it that makes architects famous?

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Jim on June 29, 2003 at 19:28:15:

In Reply to:  Re: What is it that makes architects famous? posted by Ishvinder Kaur on June 27, 2003 at 02:51:06:

I hope, Mr. Kaur, that you are one who is remembered for being Famous for what he has left us, not Infamous for what he left us. Architecture may be all around us as Hani said, but the more we abhore it, the quicker it is demolished for good reason or not. My caution about the career is to acquaint the neophytes of the reality of the "art," something which the schools do not find in their financial interests to do -- since all schools are really businesses today, no matter how much they prattle about the 'nobility' of academe and the 'professions.' There may be wonderful individual proffs out there, but their governance is by businessmen intent on profit, even in the so-called 'public' schools. They stay in office only so long as the bottom line endorses their programs to bring in the kinds full of dreams which the proffs know that the kids will never realize unless they happen to be a one-in-a-million like Frank Lloyd Wright or his ilk. How do you like "them odds?"

If I were to be an architect today, I would want to know that I was ASSUREDLY going to be Famous for the good **I** left mankind, not Infamous for the profitability of my work to myself and rich colleagues; remember: collective groups are incapable by definition of artistry, for "a camel is a giraffe designed by a committee." If anyone would be an 'artist', go into art. You may never get rich, but you might just attain Fame (or innocent Infamy).

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/27910.html