Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - we're NOT dogs. or are we?

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  oopmahs27 on July 03, 2003 at 17:12:39:

I have just discovered this forum and for the past 2 hours I have been sitting in front of this computer reading the posts. I am… soaked. Not in sweat (this Los Angeles weather is crazy)… But rather, in TEARS!

I am horrified by these posts. Everyone is so negative… what was that I read earlier? 1) “Architects, like dogs, are only as good as their masters.” 2) “Go into business for yourself? Read "Death of a Salesman". Prepare to have a second source of income and a divorce settlement.” 3) “Don't even bother drawing anything. You will never amount to anything. There is no god and everyone has been lying to you about him.”

All of these responses are… to be honest commendable for their insightfulness and wit and most are hilarious. I would laugh if my situation isn’t so serious. I am going into my senior in high school in exactly two months! Ever since 5th grade I wanted to be an architect. I even chastised my peers who dared to say “architects don’t make a lot of money.” I have been preaching to everyone that “money doesn’t matter. It’s what you enjoy! I’d rather be drawing in a tiny cubicle, than do someone else’s taxes every single day!” WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN NOW?

I’m begging anyone to give me honest answers: will I regret pursuing this career? Will I be LUCKY to work in a cubicle? Will I be LUCKY to live in a cardboard box because the pay is so horrible?
Before joining this forum, I was about to go into my senior year taking Art History AP, Architectural Drafting, Calculus AB, Physics and Auto CAD. And planned to visit Berkeley, USC, and Cal Poly by the end of this month. Please… please tell me this will not all go to waste. Please… please tell if I am better off going into Journalism or Engineering. (My cousin is a graduate of Berkeley Engineering, but I don’t even know what they do!)

I maintain what I “preach” above; I once told my friend I know it would all be worth it if one day I get to carry MY drawing to a client. Please tell me this is not impossible. That I am not crazy and too ambitious.

I am also disclosing my email address so anyone who does not wish to "preach" so openly in a forum may contact me.
oopmahs27@angelfire.com

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/27967.html