Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: we're NOT dogs. or are we?

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  alissa on July 08, 2003 at 07:51:21:

In Reply to:  we're NOT dogs. or are we? posted by oopmahs27 on July 03, 2003 at 17:12:39:

Well. . .there you go, you just got a pretty good idea of what is out there, your colleagues and your competition. Not to many straight answers, just some philosphies and preaching. Of course I have no idea if you got some more direct e-mails (my e-mail is shooting blanks right now, otherwise that would have been my option). Anyways,
back to the point. . .

I already have one message posted that explains my situation, and the answer to a very similar question (I don't remember it's subject but it is a response by alissa) So this is a two-part response. In addition to the former, I think you are going into this very well prepared, because the complaining doesn't stop, it actually begins. . .trust me you will have lots of gripes. However, the bitching is love/hate, similar to the "I had to walk uphill both ways, in a foot of snow. . ." stories that are spouted in pride. Architecture is not a punch in/ chechk out job that you leave in the office it is a way of life and it gets under your skin. I have not officially heard of an architect retiring, but I have heard of some dying.

Last bit of advice. Keep your determination, your passion and excercise your creativity. Buff up on experience and technology, the latter being the most marketable skill for the younger generation. And last, if after your first year of school, you discover it's not for you. . .follow the masses to the registrar's and try agian, it's not life and death.

alissa

Side note-

There are humble, successful architects, as well as unsuccessful cocky ones. The self-righteous archi's get all the talk because they are contoversial. I recently heard Cesar Pelli speak and was awestruck by his humilty but not his lack of conviction, Sam Mockbee doesn't have to prove that his architecture is for the better of people. . .it is, simple fact. And the list could go on. . .So all you humble want to be achitects, you have a chance to. . .in fact you are needed.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/28039.html