Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Detailing of Exterior Balcony over Enclosed Room Below

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  JWmHarmon on July 24, 2003 at 07:08:14:

In Reply to:  Re: Detailing of Exterior Balcony over Enclosed Room Below posted by steveA on July 24, 2003 at 06:01:16:

An alternative to the tapered purlins is to attach short pieces of 2X4's (tapered if necessary) to the bottoms of the joists, if you do not have too much slope on the waterproofed roof.

I have had satisfactory performance from a similar installation. My installation is used as a walkway rather than as a balcony. I used rubber roofing membrane glued to a plywood deck. The rubber roofing membrane runs up the upper wall above about six inches. The siding overlaps the roof membrane. The membrane provides flashing where the roof meets the wall. The membrane overlaps the lower wall by about eight inches. It is glued to the fascia board and secured with aluminum strips and screws about every eight inches. Treated wood decking covers and protects the rubber membrane. An extra layer of rubber membrane where the weight of the decking touches the roof membrane provides a little extra insurance against punctures.

In my installation, the decking cantilevers over the roof by about three inches allowing water to flow off the membrane and not get trapped behind the deck band board.

I designed the decking in sections so that it can be removed for cleaning or repairs without needing to remove the entire deck.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/28276.html