Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Career change into architecture

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Tamara Redburn on July 31, 2003 at 05:39:36:

In Reply to:  Re: Career change into architecture posted by Preston Pesek on July 29, 2003 at 11:40:07:

I made just the career change you've been discussing. I was a middle school math teacher for 16 years, then dropped everything to go back to school to get my M.Arch (master's of architecture) degree. I was in a 3+ program -- this is a fairly common program for people who have undergrad degrees in any field outside of architecture. The 3+ means that you can do it in 3 years (I did), but it can take 3+ (read 4 or so). I commuted 70 hours each way, 5 days a week, and I am married and have 2 step-daughters (teenagers). It was a grind, it was LOADS of work, but it was all worth it. I easily worked more than 80 hours a week, including classes, commuting, studying, designing, building models, etc. I did school work every night (except Friday -- date night for me and my husband) and every weekend. Like I said, it was well worth it -- I'm employed at a firm now that designs schools, exactly what I was looking for when I started. It's a great profession -- very challenging, sometimes frustrating, but very rewarding. The pay is fairly low, but it will more than cover your student loans -- I'm taking home about $1800/month, and my loans are about $300/month (and I went to a fairly high priced school). If you have any other questions, let me know! Good luck, in whatever you decide to do.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/28392.html