Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - future career in architecture

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  bray on August 02, 2003 at 02:04:35:

Within a year I'll be receiving my Bachelor in Arch. Studies. I've generally been looking at attending a M.ARCH program to become a NCARB architect. As I starting looking around and talking with friends, professionals, etc. I was steered away from getting my M.Arch by many others. Here are the options and the general reason why these options are better...Please respond with your opinions about the choices- (or whether I should continue on for an M.ARCH)

Option 1-
Work as an architectural drafter and consultant. Become a registered architect in one of the states that still excepts experience in leiu of education...REASONS...No states have laws re: drafting and consulting in reguards to drafting...self employed speciality drafters typically also do a fair share of design work...they're demand is up and the job outlook is better for them than an actual architect...I've been told if your good you'll get the money...also the registration in the "experience" states will allow you to work as an architect in that state but will also allow you to consult in most other states...I'll be able to do the work and actually hire an architect from the relevant state to sign off (NCARB state regs)(I'm using slang terms)...This will open up many corporate jobs because many of them only require licensing in one state for the reason mentioned above...this advice came from architects & some prof's at arch. schools

Option 2-
Become a small building & residential contractor...offers the most control of the situation...Would allow for me to design, draft, etc and hire out for the project...allowing control in the complete project. Also allows for a more well rounded income opportunity...Recommended by architects, interior designers, engineers, & some prof's?

Option 3-
Become a landscape architect...Even though this requires the same amount of grad school as becoming an architect. The combination of architectural studies & landscape architecture will be an effective tool to landing jobs with civil engineering firms, architecture firms, etc. In an overrun industry I would be able to have a unique functionality as well as offer services in basic architectural drafting and design....this was actually recommended by ALL?

Please respond in forum and give me your opinion

thanx

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/28425.html