Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Per, Ever hear of a space frame? Did you invent this?

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Per Corell on August 03, 2003 at 09:44:31:

In Reply to:  Re: Per, Ever hear of a space frame? Did you invent this? posted by Scratchy on August 03, 2003 at 08:08:36:

Hi
What I se in this foto, is cirtainly not a 3D-H structure.
I rather say it is sort of a geostatic shell structucture ---- nothing wrong about those, but the difference is important.

There are many different Geostatic structures ,most form a rounded surface distribuating the weight of the frames along a grid or pattern of stringers that then is formed to hold the glass or whatever fill out the spaces between stringers. Back in the happy 60' the trend was a mesh of strings ,the so called computer meshes like what you in AutoCAD find in the edgesurf command ; form a mesh from 4 lines forming a square and raise the middle of the mesh to form a Dome, ------ but still this is nothing like a 3D-H ; sure you can make a 3D-H look like this sort of computer mesh Dome, as with 3D-H you can form a framework for almost anything, but 3D-H is not a geostatic structure ; it is produced way different and work compleatly different beside the materials for a 3D-H is in princip sheet material, and for a Geostatic structures, the "material" is profiles like window frames just for a shaped mesh formed window framework. ------- True you can do this with 3D-H even better but please let me explain another very important feature about 3D-Honeycomb, using the foto as example ;
In that you se a cover for a huge space, with 3D-H you would make the floors and walls in one with that.
Se the difference ; like Bilbao is mainly a thin metal covering held in the ait by steel pipes , a structure in 3D-H would have offered this but beside an option to make the floors and walls in one with that.
Sorry it's still a bit hot in Copenhagen and I had a headake for a few day's so I can't go deeper into the difference 3D-H versus Geostatic structures, ------ but where Geostatic structures often requier expensive special fittings, everything in a 3D-H structure are made from the sheet material , guess atleast a third the cost.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/28448.html