Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Divide and Conquer: Architecture and Legal Boundaries

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  liam ross on August 05, 2003 at 12:44:13:

I'm a british architect visiting the states over the summer, doing some projects at the Contemporary Artists Centre, Massachusetts. Currently fascinated by Law and architecture. This fascination has been sparked by the fact that, living in NY state, I can't find a public place in which i can drink AND smoke. the innocuous walls and doors of my local bars, after the application of what might seem a reasonable ban of smoking, have become deeply malicious. As soon as i get a drink, i want a cigarrette, but to do that i must go to the (unlicensed) street, leaving the drink behind. Once physically applied, this ruling takes on quite and ideological twang, deffeating vice by division; and architecture is certainly involved...
My first question is to NY architects, does anyone know where might I find the legal regulations for licensing, smoking, and how these pertain to the licensed property. Second question is that we're hopefully going to be doing some architectural projects about advertising the work going on at the CAC to passers-by, all in cars, and i'm also trying to find out information about what you can build onto the face of/protruding from buildings (over pavement and river). This would concern quesitons of pavement access/ownership, what is considered hazardous, and risk of distraction to drivers. Any other cases of architecure invigorated by Law?
Liam

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/28503.html