Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Urban design education and professions

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Scott Shepard on August 25, 2003 at 08:46:41:

Hello all,
I hold a Bachelor of Arts degree in Geography from the University of Vermont and am currently pursuing a Master of City Planning at San Diego State University. I have 7 years of experience in GIS, cartography, aerial imagery, and spatial analysis.

My interests lie in geography, sociology, urban design, regional planning, and architecture. To sum it up, I love the spatial layout and design of urban areas on a social and functional level. I am wondering if pursuing an additional Master of Urban Design degree OR a Master of Architecture would help to set a clear career path for myself in urban design and planning on the private consulting level. This of course would accompany internships and professional experience within the industry.

I am not interested in becoming a licensed and practicing architect, rather I would like to become a planner by trade who possesses the skills and knowledge to carry out urban design projects in the private sector. Any advice, personal experience, etc, are most valued and appreciated.

Also, what sorts of salaries for urban designers can be expected with several years of professional design and educational experience?

Scott A. Shepard
GIS Programmer/Analyst
TELESIS Corporation
409 Camino Del Rio S., Ste. 205
San Diego, CA 92108
Ph: (619)497-0193
Fax: (619)497-0582
http://www.telesis.org

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/28875.html