Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Marketing the Profession to the Public

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Elizabeth Geary-Archer on September 16, 2003 at 07:44:44:

In Reply to:  Marketing the Profession to the Public posted by Elizabeth Geary-Archer on September 14, 2003 at 17:59:03:

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. (Charles, you are right about the need to get the public's perspective...our panel should have included non-professionals.) Just a note about getting archtecture incorporated into the education system. It's hard. I recently read a really good interview of Sarah Williams Goldhagan in Metropolis Magazine. She was inspired by Howard Gardner's 7 intelligences and suggested developing a type of cirriculum based on his work...here, I'll quote the her from the article: "I wrote a piece for the American Prospect in which I used Haward Gardner's notion of seven intelligences. Gardner is an educational theorist, who has developed this idea of multiple intelligences: logistical, mathematical, bodily-Kinesthetic, visual-spatial, interpersonl, linguistic, and so on. Something in the practice of architecture touches on each one of these ways of thinking. So one could develop a program that captured the interest of a broad net of kids with all different kinds of talents and interests." Since I, like many of you who posted, think it is important to teach children about architecture, I was very excited about Goldhagen's idea for an academic program. So I called up a former co-worker of mine, Francie Alexander, who is the VP of Scholastic and was one of the cirriculum developers for the Edison Project schools, and asked about Gardner. She basically said his ideas were interesting but educators found them difficult to apply to a generalized cirriculum. Also, as I'm sure you all know, there are a number of architectural-based charter and maganate schools around the country. However, they are far and few between and we still haven't found a way to share the value of architecture, in a wide-spread way, to children in this country. It seems the design community would have to really make a stustained effort to work with the educational community, at the national level, in order to institute national standards.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/29298.html