Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: theories in architecture

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  aaron on September 16, 2003 at 10:42:18:

In Reply to:  Re: theories in architecture posted by Harry Pasternak on September 16, 2003 at 07:55:14:

While I agree with you Harry that there are plenty of architectural theories which are simply intellectual bullshit.... on the other hand good theories are not simply those which are backed up by 'scientific' research.

I am unable to comprehend why and how you can apply scientific research on, like u mentioned, why and how people use space for example. Perhaps your term science extends to the realm of pyschology and social behaviour ? Nevertheless lets backtrack abit....or rather way back to ancient civilisation where I would like to ask you what kind logic (sceince) did humanity apply at the time of... the pyramids, mayan, greek civilisation for example... why did they build those , and how did they use the space?

I'll end by saying that in architecture, which i see as a branch of art, the principles of design should not entirely be based on scientific evidences, for there is a higher logic within, one which is not quite quantifiable especially by the branches of sciences and statistics, etc... it is one based on a certain feeling.. a kind of empathy..... you could say that its purely subjective... but i would say that if it is really a good building... the results are nothing but objective for its speaks a certain truth.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/29309.html