Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: One owl to another (fame and WTC competition)

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  An Anonymous Coward on September 22, 2003 at 17:57:19:

In Reply to:  Re: One owl to another posted by Chad B on September 19, 2003 at 19:16:38:

Hello.

My take on the competition. It was a very rewarding process to participate in. My view is that the competition is a memorial of sorts, and that regardless of where your proposal ranks, it will be part of the historical record. Juror Maya Lin was quoted recently as advocating a permanent display of most of the proposals, which may be the most appropriate memorial since it would capture the diversity of peoples' responses to 9/11.

I agree with you about the apparent impropriety of making someone a celebrity as a result of the competition. From a practical standpoint, there probably isn't a way to keep the identity of the winner or even the finalists a secret for very long. The press seems to have observed a gentleman's agreement to avoid discussing proposals, although they have surely seen some of them privately. This will go out the window as soon as the list is narrowed to a few finalists.

I think a lot of this will depend on the behavior of the finalists and the eventual winner. If the person selected is a media hound and shamelessly exploits their newly minted celebrity status, we will never hear the end of it. If, on the other hand, he or she pulls a Greta Garbo and declines TV interviews, it may not turn out that way. As an author, I have found it is quite easy to remain anonymous. If you don't do TV, you don't exist, no matter how widely you are quoted elsewhere (and especially if you are not 'telegenic').

So let's just hope the memorial is beautiful and the finalists are camera shy and/or butt ugly.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/29455.html