Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Discouraged at the comments.

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Donald on November 06, 2003 at 16:49:27:

In Reply to:  Discouraged at the comments. posted by Justin Hui on November 06, 2003 at 15:53:36:

You are correct in saying that there are many in this forum that are not in love with their job, career status and / or pay among other things...I can read between the lines too... But don't be discouraged.

I have seen it through my career, especially among the younger interns and architects from the "gimme generation", that have expected too much too soon without the experience that goes along with it. I'm sure it happens in most professional careers. Take it easy with this very competitive (sometimes cut-throat)profession and learn as much as you can from it when you are young. Be as motivated, productive, competitive and progressive in all that you can do and you will reap the rewards in time.

A career in the USA will reward you more than one in say Asia, such as China...although I recently saw an add looking for architects in Korea that were starting their pay off higher than here in the USA with 10+ years experience...so it varies on the place, the firm, the position with which you are seeking etc...and it all goes back to the years of experience you have.

Of course in this forum you will find a vast array of experienced (and some not so experienced) architects. Don't let the opinions of some ruin your outlook on the profession. Go out and visit some ofices here in the USA and see for yourself...and then visit China and see the other side of how things work over there. I'm sure you will find that they are even more competitive than we are here...and maybe not so excited with their rewards. At least here in the USA one isn't so concerned aabout "losing your face".

Keep this in mind always, that the employment outlook is always better for graduates who are flexible and who are openly willing to consider any opportunity to apply their talents, wherever that opportunity may arise.....whether in USA, Asia, Middle East, Europe, South America.......and that is the truth as I know it.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | ArchitectureWeek Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/30641.html