Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Encouraged by the responses.

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  brian on November 06, 2003 at 20:10:57:

In Reply to:  Re: Discouraged at the comments. posted by Donald on November 06, 2003 at 16:49:27:

Donald, I want to admit that I’ve been lurking here for a while and just started posting. I agree with Ruger's recent post and appreciate your well informed insight. I am registered with 8 years experience and have been disappointed recently by the lack of opportunities in my office and decided to break out on my own. Looking for a mentor was almost as difficult as walking to Chicago. Confiding in my boss about my dissatisfaction actually led to me getting let go. The sad thing is that your posts here have been the closest I’ve had to any guidance.

Every once in a while, I see an article in Architecture or Record that discusses the future of architecture especially regarding education. The article usually features some firm in the southwest that caters to the continuing education of recent graduates. The firm hires junior architects cheap, but in return provides a well-rounded experience. Unfortunately, these kinds of firms are few and far between, especially here in New York, and most students end up in dead-end careers that disillusion and frustrate.

I think that the key to avoiding this frustration is guidance. This is the reason why I avoided joining the AIA, even though my company would have sponsored me. I don't feel like there is any commitment at the AIA to provide guidance. I appreciate that the organization promotes continuing education which sustains an architect's professional growth, but I believe that it doesn't attempt to provide for an individual's personal growth.

For example, almost all AIA events are fundraisers that are forums for high-paid principals to woo clients and the AIA Career Center on the website says, “Your Future, Online” but only lists more jobs with unsympathetic regimes dedicated more to competition than a positive multi-directional flow of information and respect. If you know of such a forum, preferably not electronic, for a struggling architect to regain his confidence and really contribute to the built environment, please help me.

Again, I enjoy being a part of THIS forum and especially enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for your dedication to this site and the people with questions. It’s inspiring and encouraging.

Brian

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | ArchitectureWeek Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/30647.html