Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: What I should do at first to be architect in CA?

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Donald on November 10, 2003 at 11:45:52:

In Reply to:  What I should do at first to be architect in CA? posted by Natalya Yeremeyeva-Duarte on November 09, 2003 at 08:04:02:

First, go to your husband and give him .........no just kidding, but seriously, each of the fifty states have laws regulating the practice of architecture. In this example I am assuming you want to be a registered practicing architect.

California has one of the most stringent, and law written requirements for their registered architects. If you want to practice architecture in the states, you must be liscensed, as the laws are written such that they "prohibit" the use of the title "architect" for those who are not liscensed, and make it unlawful for those who practice without a liscense. You can obtain the requirements for the state of California (or all others. It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the details of the legal requirements of your state. You can also write the NCARB to obtain the "Architectural Registration Exam (ARE)Guidelines, which will explain every aspect of the registration exam for your state.

You can go to take your exam any day of the week throughout the year at your nearest test center. There are also refresher courses offered that you might want to take to get up to speed with what to expect in these exams. Your local AIA office can help you on that with regard to the schedule of classes.

I have seen others come from another country and simply interview for a position with a firm in the states. This I think is better because it gives you some in states experience that will benefit you once you decide to take the test. I'm not sure how they handle IDP requirements for those with the 15 years in another country, as I suspect they would be clearly satisfied by you with your experience.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | ArchitectureWeek Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/30725.html