Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: THE INTERNATIONAL HIGHRISE AWARD 2004

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Donald on November 11, 2003 at 04:02:45:

In Reply to:  Re: THE INTERNATIONAL HIGHRISE AWARD 2004 posted by brian on November 10, 2003 at 20:46:23:

And God wreaked havoc on the builders of the Tower of Babel for daring to build so high, upon returning from their crusades. And it was William LB Jenny who said we are building to a height to rival the Tower of Babel. Think of it as a myth. Its all about Power and Domination...mostly American. And now the Chinese and the others are following? I don't think they are hurting because of the land sprawl issue. And its the East that is getting its dominant tall buildings from us, instead of from their own indigenous religious architecture and folkways. They are not taking our ecomomic models but our pride models.

Yes, you are correct it is a result of sprawl that we go up after filling in. But for me, it was in the Pioneering of Chicago that the skyscraper was born and now that there is no economic need for them, so it may die there too. There is a passion in me to strive to have one under my firm. Call it fancy, expensive or an extra, but its also pride, and that is one way I look at life.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | ArchitectureWeek Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/30744.html