Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Koolhaas at IIT

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Stephen F Smith on November 20, 2003 at 14:35:56:

I attended IIT in architecture from 1975-1980 and I really did not want to like this building (I live in New Mexico and have only seen the building in photos since its completion). The diagrammatic nature of the building interior goes against the nature of the entire campus geometry. The colors are bright in contrast to the muted or all-black buildings sprinkled across the remainder of the campus. It occupies a challenging site (to say the least). Yet there is "something" about the rectilinear volume of the building, the subtle quality of the materials, the gentle enfolding of the original Commons Building, that actually works well! Now I must return to Chicago to view it in person. What do other Chicagoans and IIT alums think about the building?

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | ArchitectureWeek Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/31039.html