Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Timber-Clad Buildings

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Trebor on November 20, 2003 at 15:19:05:

In Reply to:  Timber-Clad Buildings posted by Sabrina on November 19, 2003 at 06:34:16:

Hi Sabrina,

I'm assuming that you mean a timber-frame house with insulated panel infill. I don't know what area you live in, so perhaps you have something different in mind. I noticed on an Irish building website that standard wood-frame or "stick-frame" houses were being called "timber frames". Apparently most of the houses in Ireland are of masonry construction, and wood-frame is something unusual.

I am a Texas-based architect, and have designed a few timber-framed houses with post-and-beam "barn-style" framing and many stick-framed dwellings, which is by far the most common system in use here. Timber frames and several masonry systems are gaining in popularity, as well as light steel residential framing. The drawback to all of these alternatives is cost, which ranges from 10% to nearly 100% higher than conventional wood framing. Most homes here are clad with stone or brick veneer or cementious/fiber siding such as Hardi board.

The timber-framed homes with either pegged or bolted connections are very beautiful and have a more substantial and permanent feel, and with structural insulating panel wall and roof infill between the beams are very energy-efficient. I think many people would seriously consider this system if costs were lower.

Hope this helps!

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | ArchitectureWeek Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/31041.html