Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Disheartend mid career crisis...need someone to talk to...

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  John Da Silva on December 08, 2003 at 02:38:21:

In Reply to:  Disheartend mid career crisis...need someone to talk to... posted by unhappy on December 07, 2003 at 20:13:03:

As someone who is about to enter a architecture degree course next year, your words are of little comfort, but perhaps its not entirely true what you say.

I love architecture, always have, but unfortunatley, a choice earlier in my life led into computing, which I also enjoyed, for 9 years now, but now i realise that for 9 years my creative side was oppressed far too long and I now have a burning desire to become an architect and to hopefully through my abilities affect the lives of those who will one day make use of the things I design. Its going to be at least 4 years from now until I can do that. YOU on the other hand have the ability to start doing that NOW, you need to rediscover your passion, whether its for the artistic side of design, or the more technical side of architecture. Life has a funny way of working things out, even if it takes a while to do so, it will eventually do so. You should not be downtrodden by critisism, as long as you know you have the ability to render ideas from your head into tangible objects.

Dont throw away what could be a glorious and prosperous future in a career that im sure is satisfying and virtuous. Just bear in mind that you work on things that are clearly visible and seen by others eyes, and many careers dont have this aspect, they are 'invisible' if you like, and thus void of recognition. Im not saying that recognition
is what its all about, but it is an aspect that is refective of the nature of architecture - you SEE the results of your work, and so do others.

NEVER EVER throw away your work or even your dreams, because the future is not set, obviously, and just because today you feel down doesnt mean your future is in tatters.

Rediscover your passion for architecture, help work towards building
a better future for us all by innovating ideas, because one day this planet will be covered to its limits by buildings, so lets get them right the sake of humanity, and you can help in taking that step forward.

Hope this long winded speech perks you up.
John.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | ArchitectureWeek Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/31414.html