Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Disheartend mid career crisis...need someone to talk to...

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Ralph on December 08, 2003 at 06:07:38:

In Reply to:  Disheartend mid career crisis...need someone to talk to... posted by unhappy on December 07, 2003 at 20:13:03:

I understand! It is a glorious day when you feel that you can handle anything that comes your way, professionally. I experienced that, and also had my share of misgivings. But, now I have spent some 40 years in the profession, love it, and hope to go...........at least for quite a while.
I am perplexed in how you achieved your degree in just 3 years. usually 4 is a minimum and I [due to the co-op system] took 6 years but I came out with work experience.
You need to understand that the degree is a "voucher" that you are founded n architecture and understand it, but that you are not expert in it. Every architect finds a niche of his/her own in which you feel comfortabel, and productive/creative, and you practice there. I, like you, like the technology-- I love to detail buildings and put them together. My primary direction throughout my career has been in that area-- detailing, specifications, contract administration, field observation, etc.
My advice: put together the very best and widest range of portfoilio [show everything you can do, and explain what you ike best]and try to find a job in an appealing [what sounds right!!!] job. You may find a whole career there, OR you may see fit to move to other positions. Try a simple, entry level position, and learn all you can, then assess what more you wish to do. There are many areas and aspects of architecture to look at; remember, many pharmaceutical salespersons are former medical school graduates, and yet are not doctors. Try to look at architecture as a wide-ranging profession, from government to teaching, to detailing, to product sales, to project development [business sales for architects]to......... Working in an office is not necessarily the end goal-- it is one possibility!
No doubt there is some thing and some where for you. Keep learning, keep looking, keep honing your eye and perspective to what you want which is short of the "whole shabang!!]

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | ArchitectureWeek Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/31418.html