Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Disheartend mid career crisis...need someone to talk to...

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Jon on December 09, 2003 at 07:13:22:

In Reply to:  Disheartend mid career crisis...need someone to talk to... posted by unhappy on December 07, 2003 at 20:13:03:

Here's my 2 cents...

Don't be disillusioned...over the years that have included many teachers from high school, professors from college, and bosses and co-workers in the private sector, I can count on only a handfull that actually had any positive inpact in my career, and those are the people that matter. The ones that rip your stuff to shreds because they personally don't like it, just let the criticisms roll off your back. If you truly have a passion for this and work at it...whether it's at an entry level position or something better down the road, people always notice good solid quality work. By the way speaking of not really wanting to be the next Frank Lloyd Wright, I just recently completed a simple little ranch house rendering. It was not an architectural wonder but it looked great when it was done (ya gotta love computers and all the neat software out there)and the client was extremely happy. As far as your portfolio, take a good look at it and keep what you like, rework stuff if you want, and toss the stuff you don't like. Hell, create something new if you have the time and keep updateing it through out the years. I just dragged out my final college portfolio from 1992...I had a good laugh looking at some stuff but I had a few things that still look good today. A portfolio can often be a window into how a person creates or thinks. Finished work is always impressive, but ideas or conceptual work in a portfolio can really show people how you got from point a to point b. Thats equally as important even if it's not as visually impressive like a final design. So pull yer shorts up, find some inspiration where you can, and get back to that point that had you interested in architecture in the first place. Good luck, and hang in there!

Jon

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | ArchitectureWeek Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/31450.html