Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Is it worth it?

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Seo-Dave on December 10, 2003 at 06:58:12:

In Reply to:  Is it worth it? posted by Dago Garza on December 08, 2003 at 11:12:52:

I went back into education with a family, wife one child though by the end it was three kids :-))

I got as far as the final few months of a university degree, but for health reasons I had to drop out (physically wasn't able to sit for exams!).

Although it all went wrong I don't regret trying since I'd of got my dream career at the end of it. IMO you should ask yourself how badly you want to be an architect?

I'm in the UK, I started with a few Open University (OU) courses which you can do full or part time mostly at home with tutorials and summer schools, so generally doesn't interfere with work. This got me into uni full time. I could of transferred credits (skipping the first year) but did the whole 3yr Bsc course (which was a mistake in hindsight).

Could you not do a recognized correspondence course and then transfer the credits to the final year of a university based degree (which looks better than a correspondence degree)?

This way you can pace yourself for the first 2/3rds of the degree and the final year go for it. This would be less of a financial burden.

I've always been a risk taker and will throw myself into something if the rewards are right. Although I didn't get the degree (was never able to sit the exams) it's a real confidence boost seeing the other students at uni since half of them don't know their heads from their butts!

Even though I'm disabled (can't sit in a chair for more than 20mins at a time is the main problem) I now run my own successful business at something I enjoy.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | ArchitectureWeek Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/31480.html