Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Pros & cons of working in a big architecture corporation

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  raj devan on December 11, 2003 at 09:20:31:

In Reply to:  Re: Pros & cons of working in a big architecture corporation posted by San on December 11, 2003 at 00:58:10:

Well unlike what the other good gentleman here had to say, I'm not into dollar signs, since I live in India, not the states. :)

But here in Bangalore, there's been an awul lot of development in a very very short amount of time. The Information tech boom was followed by the BPO boom, the biotech boom, and almost every corporation from anywhere in the world is clamouring for space to build sprawling campuses of world class buildings.

I used to work in a small firm, 15 strong, that did a few projects but did some very... different and creative work. However whatever it made in the way of intellectual content was lost in its lack of professionalism and efficiency. Simple projects took ages, and saw massive cost escalations. Although some staffers tried their best to create highly detailed drawings, most of the time, drawings issued to sites were virtually useless as production drawings (the crew would look at the drawings, make their own shop drawings and execute it.)

The company I'm joining has the same timings, a 50% increase in salary, but I'm not here for the money. I just want to work in an office where i will get enough exposure to building details, to the latest building technologies, to a system where time is on a premium, to an efficient system, to an environment that makes use of the opportunities that the new economy is making available.

Creativity is a very important thing, no doubt. but that comes from the noggin, something that you have to develop yourself..... true you can learn the ways and means to be creative from a creative office, but in the end its your own mind that will take you there. I know people who have worked for 10 to 15 years with creative geniuses, but ended up the dunderheads they were. On the other hand, my own ex boss worked for three years with SOM in chicago in the US, but returned to Bangalore to do some very creative stuff (not at all your standard SOM thing)

But what you sy can be true to very great extent.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | ArchitectureWeek Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/31535.html