Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Disheartend mid career crisis...need someone to talk to...

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  San on December 13, 2003 at 03:31:20:

In Reply to:  Re: Disheartend mid career crisis...need someone to talk to... posted by Michael on December 08, 2003 at 08:49:52:

Wow Michael,
That was the most heartfelt comment that I have read in this forum till date. I am referring particularly to the latter half of your post.
I am personally going through my own battles. I too am working as an associate for a large corporation for over seven years now. The pat on the back from the benevolent partners is all that keeps me driving on all those lost holidays, the time away from loved ones...and at the cost of my social life..which after 7 years I haver realised I have none. At the end of the day I realise the im using my maximum skills as an administrator, manager, supervisor, draughtsman, detailer and every other mundane job other than my orignal creativity, which I believe is quie superior.
I have gathered all the knowledge that i think I need, earned enough respect from my peers, but looking forward to a life with a good house in the suburbs, a nice car and a life where i have to put 15 hours of work on something that I know that any robot can be programmed to do is really scaring the shit outta me.
I am inclined to intellectual thought, literary dialogue, design experimentation, defying the obvious and generating lateral solutions. Lets say Im more happy with the arty side of design than the technology. Art is individualistic, technology is mass.
Your post just reinforced my belief that everyone is disposable, especially in large corporations, where the bottomline and the CEOs dictate the dikats.
I feel that architecture is getting more technology oriented and that after the initial inspirational design flash, everything just boils down to a mundane coordination of disciplines, which a planner or a manager can be better equipped. I have reached a stage where I want to let go of the engineering and focus on the the art. May be set designing, interiors, graphic design, visual merchandise can be an option.
I am having an oppurtunity to move to london briefly, and am planning to pursue some firm striving towards that. Im opting not to work with top ranking firms, as after working for one I realise that the sacrifices that you have to make are too far to keep your foot in the door of the rat race.
I was having these doubts in my head for a while now, and after reading your letter it has helped clear some haze around me. I know for sure that I dont fit inthe current scenario, but i just need to ding the right hole for this peg!
Thanks a ton,

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | ArchitectureWeek Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/31570.html