Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Industry and Urban planning

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  James Clark on December 16, 2003 at 13:17:59:

Hello,

I'm having trouble finding appropriate sources of information on the subject of the relationship between urban planning and industry. One of the projects I'm working on at the moment is a written submission detailing my views on this subject.

My hypothesis goes something like this:

"London has been the centre of many redevelopment schemes over its long life, from general zoning patterns to large scale urban planning projects. I think that within these endeavours there is a direct link with industry to do with the starting and finishing points of these projects and their continued success. Using the example of London in the late 19th century, I intend to clarify the root causes of large scale masterplanning as being based on capital and long term investment than humanitarian or idealistic grounds. To do this, I will look at Hampstead Common, the London Underground system and Welwyn Garden city."

Bit of a mouthful, eh? ;)

More seriously, I do need all the help i can get. I've spent a day in the local university library hammering away search terms and looking through archive lists, but have so far not been able to isolate many pieces of useful information.

I would gladly take on board any comment you have to give with regards to sources, opinions on my hypothesis or suggestions on further case studies to research.

Thanks very much,

James

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/31658.html