Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: MY portfolio....

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Ryan on January 09, 2004 at 23:23:57:

In Reply to:  MY portfolio.... posted by Neill on January 09, 2004 at 16:32:40:

I think the next step for you would be to attend an non-technologically based College of Architecture, meaning a school whose impetus is based upon theoretical research, not drafting. The ability to draw and render can stagnate as only a tool, the most important tools you possess are your ideas and the brain they come from. The ability to develop an idea, that is your own, will give you the key to enter into the architectural culture, and not just in the sense of producing a sketch and finalizing construction sets, but it will help you to define the intention behind how the type of paper you've used to make your marks upon relates to the idea your trying to convey. I was in the same boat as you appear to be in now when I was in highschool, and its a good boat. I had and still have a deep appriciation for Mr. Franker Lloyd Wright, but I now understand his designs as intention instead of buildings. The underlying tone of his concept is incredible and still remains, arguably, untouchable. Dont be consumed in the product but be consumed by the idea, because the idea, within its conditions, will delegate the architectural object. Good Luck with everything!! Here are some architectural offices to look at: UN Studio, Steven Holl, Mack Scogin Merrill Elam. Some books to also look at are; Unfold, and Move by Ben van Berkel, S,M,L,XL by Rem Koolhaas; Immaterial/Ultramaterial: Architecture, Design, and Materials (Millennium Matters)edited by Toshiko Mori; Skin: Surface, Substance, and Design by Ellen Lupton; these are just a few and should get you going.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/32494.html