Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Rebuilding the WTC

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Nadine on January 18, 2004 at 21:55:02:

In reference to an earlier post re the WTC lower down, and all the difficulties it presents because of it's tragic downfall, I thought history might present some ideas on which to stage an attitude of comeback.
London was repeatedly bombed ever night during the month of October during 1940. In fact on the 31st of that month in that year, it was thought that he Battle of Britain was over.
Not much of London was left and 1,000's of innocent civilian life had been wiped out. Yet, the attitude that emerged during the rebuilding of London was really the most amazing thing and if you observe London today, it bears little resemblance to the place of devastion it became in 1940.
I'm posting this because sometimes after a trauma so close to home, it's hard to come up with the inspiration required to start all over again but history does have some fine lessons to show us especially about the spirit of people united in a common cause.
If you go to www.google.co.uk, type in keys words, 'battle of Britain', it will come up with a list of sites from the second world war to the more recent IRA bombings and how London recovered.
Thought it might provide some welcome inspiration. It's certainly fascinating especially for me because it's all before my generation but remarkable all he same.

Nadine

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/32694.html