Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Lost New York City

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Randall on January 28, 2004 at 17:56:56:

I have always been interested in preservation issues, some of the visitors here may like my extensive photographic essay site on Lost New York City tenement buildings. Mostly on the Lower East Side of Manhattan during the 1970's

The photos include many of the terra cotta sculptures, stone carvings and the like which were rescued from many of the buildings in the 1970s and  early 80s.

I have added many more photos to my site as well as a fascinating sub-folder of 9 pages as a special feature on McKim, Mead & Whites' "Cable Building"  at 611-621 Broadway, corner of Houston St which was the mechanical power plant for the Broadway cable car line's downtown section.

I am presently in need of additional information and help on this and will post about htis next.

I  included many photos of sculptures and carvings on the facade, scans of some interesting articles with photos dating to 1893 and more.

There's now over 200 building photos and about 125 sculpture photos plus a number of others.

A general URL:

http://www.lostnewyorkcity.com/

I also  have a message board up with additional photos and a variety of topics including some "Magic Lantern" glass slide views of Broadway and the old Post Office (demolished 1937) circa 1880, stereoviews etc

Views of the old West Side Highway cast iron details (demolished in the 1970s) Also some there about the Edgar Allen Poe house which I discovered a family member once owned and operated an italian restaurant on the ground floor in!
There's also a view slide of the Flatiron building there as well.

It can be reached from the general URL above.

Hope folks here who appreciate fine art will enjoy some of the material.

Randall
Webmaster and forum moderator

"Randall's Lost New York City"
A historical photo essay of lost buildings from NYC's architectural history.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/32908.html