Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - transgression

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Adrian Cobos on February 02, 2004 at 11:00:01:

In Reply to:  Re: deconstrucion posted by BlaDe on February 01, 2004 at 09:03:10:

As far as I cant tell from what I have read and seen, deconstructive architecture has, among others, the requirement of constituting a transgression against what is expected of it by society and architectural tradition as regards aesthetics, structure and/or function. This has indeed its roots in the theories of Derrida, whom even gives us a method to carry out this trangression. Partly, the idea stems from the almost common sense knowledge (nowadays anyways) that language is not oh-so-stable and that due to its continual changes, the relation between the significance of a thing and the signified thing itself is unstable, and doesn´t necessarily correspond with each other at a given point. The conclusion is that language as we know it does not constitute a valid means of acquiring the truth of any given object or entity. If it did, there would only be one name for any given thing, and at last count there are thousands of languages and corresponding dialects each with their own way of designating any number of things. The transgression mentioned earlier is a way of manifesting this theory, and since for some reason architecture and philosophy have been associating with each other for nearly as long as they have both existed, it was not long before this theory became embodied in the work of now renowned architects such as Bernard Tschumi with his architecture of the event, Peter Eisenman with his ever becoming and thus inconclusive experiments, Zaha Hadid with her anti-gravity...(i could go on for a couple of pages but i think the idea is there. besides, im going to feel guilty afterwards for having taken the time to write this, dont ask why cuz i dont know)

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/32988.html