Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Considering Architecture: Question about design

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  steveA on March 01, 2004 at 08:19:45:

In Reply to:  Re: Considering Architecture: Question about design posted by Vernon on March 01, 2004 at 06:34:46:

I agree in general with Vernon's assessment. I would add a couple of points:
1. Designing within constraints of time, budget, client pre-conceptions, available construction expertise, etc. - this is one of the greatest challenges. It is key for the designer to understand where he might push the envelope within this context. The context, or set of limitations, is different from project to project, and often from firm to firm.
2. The other great challenge in my mind is communication. A designer in the profession must not only convey his message convincingly to his client ( remember always that he/she has to Pay for your work ) but he must convince the people he works with to follow his lead- the consulting engineers as well as the architects and draftsmen who might be helping him. Good designers are many but those that can communicate well(convince etc.) are few and much more valuable.
3. If you are a good designer in school, and wish to focus on design in your professional life, I would do the following: first work for the best design firm you can, say for 3- 5 years. Learn what it takes to do excellent work. Then take that background to a firm that needs designers. Many firms do and will acknowledge this. Often these are larger A/E firms that don't naturally attract designers. By doing this you bring value, and should be compensated accordingly.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/33747.html