Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: LET'S UNDERSTAND:Curriculum for an undergraduate architect

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Chris on March 11, 2004 at 11:31:23:

In Reply to:  Re: LET'S UNDERSTAND:Curriculum for an undergraduate architect posted by Ralph on March 11, 2004 at 09:48:51:

These are very valid points, however at the University of Minnesota, each Architecture professor IS in touch with the real world. Each professor is an architect and each has experience in the field. The faculty here requires that each instructor have an ACTIVE job elsewhere because it enables numerous different points-of-view to the field of architecture and the profession.

For example, I took an intro to drawing class where there were six sections with six separate instructors. My section was required to purchase all of the supplies (lead holders, mayline, board, etc.) while other sections drew their hands and heads. The curriculum is up to the discression of the instructor of each particular section. I have no problem with this though because during a more advanced drawing course, I too learned how to draw my hand and head as well.

I think the reason schools DO focus on one aspect of architecture is because the range of knowledge that an architect should learn is impossible to teach in a six year period. However, within this six year period, would it be advantageous to participate in a theory based school for an undergrad career and then a structure/contracting/engineering architecture school for graduate school? I don't know the answer to that. How could a college incorporate all of the knowledge required?

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/34159.html