Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Bank of the Southwest Tower @ Houston (unbuilt)

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Steve Stewart on March 16, 2004 at 15:29:52:

In Reply to:  Re: Bank of the Southwest Tower @ Houston (unbuilt) posted by Reid on March 16, 2004 at 10:35:32:

Read about this site/thread in todays "Houston Chronicle" and was amazed to find people remembered the planned project--but then this is an architecture site.

I worked in the Real Estate Loan Dept./Mortgage Loan Division at Texas Commerce Bank from '82 to '92 so I saw, firsthand, the '80's collapse in Houston. When TCB built the I. M. Pei tower, the feeling
was they had eclipsed First City--not only in business but stature and
the tower was a manifestation of that. Naturally, there was surprise when renditions of the Jahn tower stated to circulate. However, this
surprise was tempered with a belief Bk. of the Southwest had been too
agressive with its lending practices and after a few months the project became moot.

I, for one, am glad the building was never built. It looked too excessive (existential maximalist, post-modernism?)but then, so were the times. There's a book I recommend, "The See Through Years; Creation and Destruction in Texas Architecture and Real Estate 1981-1991" by Joel Barna-Rice University Press. Unfortunately, it's long out of print.

Post a Response -

Subject:       

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/34321.html