Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Communal restroom circulation square footage is too expensive; remove it with private restrooms savi

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Paruresis on April 03, 2004 at 12:20:10:

In Reply to:  Re: Phony DesignCommunity Architecture Discussion Forum posted by Richard Haut on April 02, 2004 at 13:58:42:

As documented on the web site, the 17 million Americans with paruresis comes from the organization paruresis.org. My web site indicates the 9 steps to designing private restrooms (cheaper than communal ones). Once I change ADA's requirement (or try to) of all private restrooms being accesible, then private restrooms will cost a lot less to build and heat than do communal. This ADA requirement is a mistake and changing ADA should be not a problem (I hope, and when I have time). IBC was not the code to try to change (tried twice) as they do address "psychological" disailities like ADA does. ADA is the one to change. Still, all accesibe private restrooms take less square footage than that required of communal restroom circulation square footage.

The 9 steps I have presented for private restrooms are evolution as they cost considerably less to build than do communal restrooms. Just like the PC was intoroduced in 1982 and changed society, so will my designs change society and cut costs as well.

What is this: "it does not follow that architects should stop designing steps as well, does it?" Of cource put in steps. Communal restrooms are like building multi-story buildings without elevators though for those who cannot urinate around others.

"Did you make any attempt to check out the restroom facilities of potential employers, since this is apparently a major concern for you and - in my experience - many organisations (though by no means all) do indeed have very good and private facilities?" The last place I worded had 1 private restroom (the rest communal). It was the most popular room in the building (building housing 250 people) and almost impossible to find vacant. I then started wearing a bladder bag (attached to my ankle) so I could urinate at my desk.

ArchitectureWeek     Buildings     Architects     Types & Styles     Search
Library     Places     Building Photos     Free 3D Models     Archiplanet

Architecture Search   by name of Building, Architect, or Place:

Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"
Advanced Search

Post a Response -

Subject:       

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/discussion/34824.html