Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Bank of the Southwest Tower @ Houston (unbuilt)

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  JB Anderson on September 19, 2001 at 18:53:41:

I just wanted to see if anyone else had ever seen the designs for the "Bank of the Southwest Tower", planned around 1982 for Houston. It would have been the 2nd tallest building in America after Sears and I have seen two designs, one by Kohn Pedersen Fox and the one by Helmut Jahn...

Bank of the Southwest was supposedly seconds away from beginning work on the 1400 ft. tower in 1983-84 when they nearly failed under the weight of bad real estate/oil bust loans; MBank/MCorp of Dallas purchased B.O.S.W. and approached Gerald Hines and Trammell Crow about developing the 82-85 story tower but the market truly collapsed in 1986, MBank itself later collapsed and was adopted by Bank One, and to this day the site remains a void.

I thought the KPF design was spectacular; the Jahn was too cheesy (although the Jahn won the 1982 competition)....this is one of those rare projects that really should have been built; I believe it would have been a landmark for the ages.

Anything would be an improvement on I.M Pei's "Texas Tombstone" (The Chase Tower)

Anyway, I would love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this gorgeous unbuilt tower.

Search      ArchWeek      Buildings      Architects      Types      Places      Pix      Free 3D Models      Store      Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Support | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/7140.html